The GSI 04-20 Transmitter converts level measurement from a standard mechanical tank gauge to a 4-20 mA analog signal compatible with any industrial grade receiver. The GSI 04-20 Transmitter was designed for simplicity of installation and calibration. Its design utilizes only reputable subsystem components, enhancing system stability, quality, and availability of replacement parts.
Principle of Operation:
The basic purpose of the GSI- 04-20 analog transmitter is to convert the internal rotational motion of a mechanical tape and float level gauge into a 4-20 mA signal representing product level. This rotational motion is available from the mechanical level gauge's output shaft.
The GSI-04-20 analog level transmitter will mount directly to your GSI-2570, or most manufacturers' mechanical gauge heads. When coupled to the gauge head's output shaft the GSI-04-20 utilizes the shaft's rotation to turn a standard 10 turn potentiometer through a precision gear set. The potentiometer's resistance value is then used to establish a variable amplifier gain and thereby derive a 4-20 mA signal.
The GSI-04-20 transmitter offers features not found in other manufacturers' units. We believe that it is the simplest, most reliable unit anywhere. All GSI- 04-20 transmitters feature:
- An internal potentiometer coupled to a gearset through a clutch assembly. If the product level exceeds the maximum range, due to being out of calibration, the clutch assembly protects the transmitter from excess mechanical stress.
- The GSI 04-20 transmitter produces maximum output at or above the transmitter's maximum range. This mode of operation is superior to other manufacturers' units that reset to minimum value when the level exceeds maximum range. The advantage is that if a transmitter is out of calibration, the GSI-04-20 will consistently provide a 20 mA signal when the transmitter is at maximum regardless of product level.
- The GSI-04-20 Transmitter uses 100% interchangeable precision gear sets, a common potentiometer, and a universal amplifier. Therefore, a transmitter ordered for a specific
- range can be converted to any other available range by simply replacing the gear set.
- The GSI-04-20 uses only three major components which greatly simplifies repairs and reduces parts inventories.
The GSI-04-20 may be ordered with an independent 20 mA temperature output. Two additional wires for field wiring are required along with a separate RTD probe. The RTD provides the input for a separate 4-20 mA transmitter and all voltage requirements are the same for both the level and the temperature transmitters. The RTD transmitter is mounted in the same housing and field wiring connections are made at the housing. The unit can be provided for use with either a copper or platinum RTD.